Mask tips and tricks
Following our earlier post about what to look out for when choosing a mask to purchase. Here’s a follow-up article with a few tips and tricks that you can follow to take care of your mask.
- If you’re new to diving and have purchased your brand new mask, we all know the feeling of excitement until you actually get to use it…..New masks usually need a good scrubbing of the lenses before use since it could get dirty with other materials from the manufacturer.
- There are different things that can be done, which can be recommended by either the manufacturer or your chosen dive centre staff.
- Consider changing your lenses from normal to prescription lenses or invest in some optical inserts if you have glasses.
- To prevent fogging, scrub your new mask lenses with toothpaste or a defog solution.
- Make sure that you don’t tighten the strap of your mask too much, since that will cause leakages. Also try and familiarize yourself with the adjustment lock on the end of your mask strap so that should you need to change its tightness in a hurry while you are on site, you won’t have any problems.
- Rinsing after each and every time you use your mask is an essential tip if you want your mask to last you quite a long time. Sunlight is not it’s friend either unfortunately so, have yourself invest in a diving bag and keep most of your gear stored in a cool place. In addition to this, it’s better if you isolate your mask and put it in it’s plastic covering since bugs could get to it, or if it touches other materials like Neoprene, as it will cause discoloration.
We hope these tips help you take care of your mask. Don’t forget, it’s an investment for the long run!